Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18

CONFESSION OF A JERRY YAN FANATIC

CONFESSIONS OF A JERRY YAN FANATIC
By: Peewee Reyes
MEG MAGAZINE DECEMBER 2003 ISSUE
(encoded by: dao_mi_chelle, moderator f4_phils@yahoogroups.com)

I admit the first time I caught an episode of Meteor Garden I was quickly drawn to the mysterious leader of F4, Dao Ming Si. He had this strong appeal combined with a shy-boy-next-door trait that was totally endearing. Plus, it was funny seeing a guy who completely makes a fuss over his looks. From that time on, I was hooked (along with the entire country)! I would even force myself to wake up early on weekends just so I could watch MG Rewind. I even went to the extent of collecting the whole series – from Meteor Garden 1, 2 and Meteor Rain. Heck, I even watched the two-week special of Love Scar, which starred Jerry. Oh, and did I mention that I also have a complete collection of his posters, stationeries, and yes, even a mug.

Last September, I even braved the rains, mud, and a sea of equally excited but rowdy people just to see Ken and Vanness, because I thought that was the closest I could “experience” Jerry. (Ken and Vanness knew him at least!) I enjoyed the concert, but I imagined that the euphoria I’d feel if I actually get to see Jerry would be incomparable.

So, when news broke out that Jerry, the latest Bench endorses, was coming here for a press conference I was elated! I had to go! But how? That was the million-peso question. Since I work for meg it means that we get invited to cool media presscons, events and parties. There was a slim chance that I could get to go. (Really slim since the exclusive invites were pretty limited.)

When my editor announced that there was one more ticket up for grabs, I was shocked! Maybe it was really meant to be – my one chance to see Jerry. I hope and I begged, and because a very kind officemate gave up her slot for one big fanatic (me!), I was going! I had to pinch my arm three times! I couldn’t believe my luck!

When that Friday finally came, we all headed to presscon venue Le Pavillon hours early to make sure that we get a good spot. People lined up obediently, securing their red “passports” which serves as the Bench invite. You could feel a mixture of anticipation and excitement in the air. When the doors finally opened, we were welcomed by huge posters of Jery adorning the hall. There was a red stage with a red couch and a giant banner of “Love ko Bench.” The stage was set! We all hurriedly secured our places, and waited patiently for the moment to arrive.

Host Pia Guanio briefed the press to avoid asking personal questions about Jerry and reminded us of the one question per person rule. She also advised us that Jerry was to arrive any moment. After waiting for almost half an hour, the moment finally came.

A giant screen showed us Jerry’s helicopter had landed. There was a red carpet especially for Jerry with Bench’s main man, Ben Chan welcoming him. Thousands of screams and delightful shrieks were heard all over the hall, Yes, he was here! When we finally emerged from the backstage, I held my breath and felt a sudden wave of joy that one can only feel when a dream is finally realized. Jerry greeted us with a warm hello and posed for all the cameras. I felt that I could die that very moment. Jerry came in, clad in a simple ringer shirt that said “Love ko Bench.” He wore dark jeans, a leather cuff and a pair of construction boots. He sported a long layered do, complemented by glowing tan and a magnetic dimpled smile that leaves you breathless. He was so cute, adorable and totally to die for! And I couldn’t stop staring at him. I still couldn’t believe my eyes.

Questions like, “Are you willing to pose for Bench underwear” received the most screams. He was also asked if F4 had disbanded and he denied it saying that they will get together soon as long as there’s a good project. We didn’t even care if he spoke mostly in Mandarin, which has translated to English by an interpreter. We held on to every word he said as if we understood.

Finally, he ended by saying that he was happy to be a member of the Bench family and the he couldn’t wait to have a concert here (he’ll be back even before this magazine comes out!). He posed for a couple more pics, thanked us for coming, then waved goodbye, saying “Mahal ko Kayo” (I love u all!)

Well some good things must come to an end. Seeing Jerry has taught me that dreams do come true as long as you wish and pray hard enough for it. If it could happen to me, it could happen to you too. So goodbye for now Jerry, till the next time.


No comments:

Popular Posts